Located in the Northwestern Medicine Hospital Huntley, the Weight-Loss Surgery Center offers a multidisciplinary approach to significant weight loss for individuals when all other attempts at weight loss have failed. This is a comprehensive weight loss program that addresses the whole person, combining surgery with behavior-based counseling, exercise and nutritional counseling with a registered dietitian to achieve the most effective results possible. Following surgery, patients are encouraged to participate in a support group that further encourages them as they stick to the program and achieve weight-loss goals.
The journey to better health and quality of life starts with our comprehensive weight loss program:
- Free informational sessions
- Surgeon consult
- Pre-operative classes and testing
- Registered Dietitian, psychotherapist & exercise physiologist meetings
- 1 year membership to Health Bridge Fitness Centers
- Clothing sales, Social events
Our commitment to you does not end after surgery. Our lifelong support system will monitor your long-term health status and weight loss success, helping you reverse the negative impact of obesity.
The sleeve gastrectomy, also known as a gastric sleeve, is a restrictive procedure that involves:
- Most of the stomach being removed from the body to create a “sleeve” shaped stomach.
- Weight loss occurs because patients are only able to eat a small amount of food at a time.
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Over the past 20 years, the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure has been performed more than any other weight loss surgery in the United States. It is also commonly known as gastric bypass. Characteristics of this weight loss surgery include:
- Restricts both the food intake and amount of calories and nutrients the body absorbs to promote weight loss.
- A small pouch is created to restrict food intake.
- A “Y” shaped section of the small intestine is attached to the pouch to allow food to bypass the lower stomach, the first portion of the small intestines, the duodenum, and the first portion of the jejunum.
The gastric band is the only adjustable, reversible bariatric surgery that does not require cutting and stapling of the stomach or GI re-routing to bypass normal digestion. The Centegra Healthy Living Institute uses the LAP Band™ and Realize Band™ for gastric banding. Characteristics of the gastric band procedure include:
- An adjustable gastric band, also known as a weight loss belt, that is placed around the upper part of the stomach to restrict the amount of food the stomach can contain
- Adjustments are made through a port that is placed under the skin
Endoscopic revision is a non-invasive procedure that is covered by most insurance plans, is less expensive than surgery and takes less time to recover. If you have experienced weight gain after your gastric bypass or need a push to further help you reach your weight goals after gastric bypass, the Endoscopic Revision may be right for you. Patients report it’s the boost they need to move ahead and reach their goals. They report feeling more satisfied with eating less.
Headed by specially trained surgeon and medical director Amir Heydari, MD, this team includes physicians, nurses, psychotherapists, exercise physiologists and dietitians who have a singular interest in the problems caused by morbid obesity. The team combines a surgical approach with mental health support, nutritional education and physical activity to enhance weight loss. We work together to provide you quality care, genuine respect, passionate caring and a joyful spirit.
Get started today sign up for a free information session or call 877-CENTEGRA (877-236-8347).