Stay ahead of heart disease by talking to your doctor about your heart health. By having open conversations with your doctor, you will become an active part of your health care team.
To make it easier to start the conversation, ask a trusted friend or family member to go to your appointment with you. He or she will help you remember your questions and the answers. Take a list of prepared questions and a notebook to write down your doctor’s responses. It also helps to take a list of your medications.
The American Heart Association suggests you ask your doctor:
- Based on my medical history, lifestyle, and family background, am I at risk for a heart attack?
- How do I best prevent heart disease and a heart attack?
- How do I know if my blood pressure or cholesterol is high?
- What medications are available to help me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products or dietary or herbal supplements I am already taking for other conditions?
- What type of exercise is best for me?
Centegra Physician Care makes it easy to find an excellent doctor close to your home. Call 815-338-6600 to find a primary care physician or cardiologist near you.
Return to the Virtual Heart Fair 5 minutes page.
Return to the Virtual Heart Fair home page.