To recognize Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month in March, Centegra Health System and the Get Checked! Program will offer free fecal occult blood test kits to the community. These kits help doctors detect small amounts of blood in the stool as a way to screen for colorectal cancers.
Excluding skin cancers, colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer diagnosed in men and women in the United States. Because colon cancer does not typically cause symptoms until it is in an advanced stage, early detection is especially important in the treatment of the disease.
The free test kits will be available at the following locations until March 21:
- 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday at Centegra Hospital-McHenry guest services desk, 4201 Medical Center Drive
- 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday at Centegra Hospital-Woodstock guest services desk, 3701 Doty Road
- 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Crystal Lake Medical Arts imaging desk and immediate care desk, 360 Station Drive
- 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at Centegra Health Center-Huntley imaging desk, 10350 Haligus Road
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, Centegra Sage Cancer Center front desk at 4305 Medical Center Drive