McHENRY — To recognize Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month in March, Centegra Health System partners with Gavers Community Cancer Foundation to offer free fecal occult blood test (FOBT) kits to the community. These kits help clinicians detect small amounts of blood in the stool as a way to screen for colorectal cancers.
Excluding skin cancers, colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer diagnosed in men and women in the United States. Because colon cancer does not typically cause symptoms until it is in an advanced stage, early detection is especially important in the treatment of the disease.
The free test kits will be available at the following locations beginning March 14 until March 25:
- 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday at Centegra Hospital-McHenry guest services desk, 4201 Medical Center Drive
- 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday at Centegra Hospital-Woodstock guest services desk, 3701 Doty Road
- 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Crystal Lake Medical Arts imaging desk and immediate care desk, 360 Station Drive
- 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at Centegra Health Center-Huntley imaging desk, 10350 Haligus Road
- 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Centegra Sage Cancer Center front desk at 4305 Medical Center Drive, McHenry
For more information about colon cancer, visit centegra.org/service/oncology. For more information about the screening kits, call 815-759-4454.
Centegra Health System is committed to meeting the health care needs of the residents of greater McHenry County and to making services available in multiple and convenient locations, including hospitals in McHenry and Woodstock, Immediate and Physician Care Centers, Centegra Sage Cancer Center, Health Bridge Fitness Centers and the widely anticipated Centegra Hospital–Huntley slated for opening in 2016.
As the region’s leading health care provider, Centegra Health System continues to bring the latest treatments and technology, along with the skills of nearly 4,000 associates, to meet the needs of the growing McHenry County community. For more information about Centegra Health System visit centegra.org, search Centegra Health System on Facebook and Twitter or call 877-CENTEGRA (236-8347). Call 815-334-5566 to schedule your mammogram.