Have you talked to your doctor about your target blood pressure? In most adults, blood pressure less than 120/80 is considered normal.
Prehypertension is blood pressure between 120/80 and 139/89. If your blood pressure is higher than 140/90, you have hypertension. You should take immediate steps to reduce your blood pressure and lessen your risk for heart attack and stroke.
The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute’s recommendations to help prevent or lower high blood pressure include:
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese
- Increase levels of physical activity
- Eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products
- Eat a diet that is low in saturated and total fat
- Limit consumption of sodium to less than 2,300 milligrams per day
- Drink alcohol only in moderation—no more than one alcoholic drink per day if you are a woman and no more than two if you are a man
Talk to your doctor about your blood pressure numbers. To find a Centegra Physician Care provider near you, call 815-338-6600.