You know the expert advice: Get moving. What you may not understand is how simple it can be to work more activity into your day. Simple changes to your routine can make a big impact on your heart health, and many of our suggestions will give your family members, friends and colleagues a health boost, too.
Our doctors recommend that every person gets a minimum of 30 minutes of activity six days a week. Breaking a sweat most days is a great goal. Start by making these changes and additions to your day and you’ll immediately begin to enjoy the health benefits.
- Start your day with a walk or take a hike after dinner and aim for a brisk pace. You should walk as fast as you can while still being able to talk comfortably.
- Track your steps with a pedometer. Add 1,000 steps a day per week until you work up to 10,000 steps every day. Get your free Centegra pedometer as our gift to you for attending the Virtual Heart Fair!
- Choose a parking space farther from the door to lengthen your walk into work or the store.
- Take the stairs. You don’t have to work in a high rise to make the most of stairs. Climb one flight 10 times a day to get your heart pumping.
- Break up your workouts to achieve 30 minutes of exercise a day. Work out in 10- or 15-minute sessions to increase your endurance and fit exercise into your busy schedule.
- Got a meeting? Take a walk. Watch the TED Talk here.
- Walk or stand while you’re talking on the phone.
- At work, finish lunch early and take a walk for the rest of your lunch break.
- Plan family fun and recreational activities that get you moving. You’ll have so much fun you’ll forget you’re exercising!
Return to the Virtual Heart Fair 15 minutes page.
Return to the Virtual Heart Fair home page.