Centegra Health System’s commitment to treating lung cancer means you can stay close to home for the individualized treatment provided by a highly skilled team of experts.
There are three main types of lung cancers – non-small cell cancer, small cell cancer and lung carcinoid tumors. Knowing which one you have is critical as it determines your treatment options and prognosis. Our cancer care experts create individualized treatment and support plans combined with state-of-the-art cancer technology to treat each patient’s needs and goals.
Lung Cancer Treatment in McHenry County
Cancer is different from many of the other diseases we treat at Centegra. It’s a journey, one that comes with unique challenges. If you have been diagnosed with lung cancer, Centegra Sage Cancer Center, located on the campus of Centegra Hospital-McHenry, is home to McHenry County’s only complete cancer treatment program. At Centegra Sage Cancer Center, you receive a personalized treatment plan for your cancer that offers the same state-of-the-art technology as major academic medical centers so you don’t have to travel far for care.
- Centegra’s experts use advanced medical imaging before, during and after cancer care to determine the cancer type, create treatment plans and monitor success.
- Doctors who treat lung cancer can include:
- Cardiovascular and thoracic surgeons who treat diseases of the lung and chest with surgery
- Radiation oncologists who treat cancer with radiation therapy
- Medical oncologists who specialize in the use of medicine or drugs, also known as chemotherapy, to treat patients.
- The Centegra Oncology Nurse Navigator offers individualized assistance to patients and families to help access the clinical, psychological, spiritual and emotional care a patient needs through all phases of the cancer journey. The Oncology Nurse Navigator provides education and resources to help patients make decisions and coordinate care in collaboration with their caregivers.
- We also provide cancer care that goes beyond what is available at most academic and community cancer centers. The Centegra Oncology Rehabilitation & Support Services team improves the lives of survivors by addressing the side effects of cancer treatments. The program includes more than 80 doctors, nurses, physical and occupational therapists, speech/language pathologists, registered dietitians and mental health professionals to support our patients’ needs.
- Genetic counseling that helps you understand your risk for inherited cancers and make informed decisions about prevention and treatment.
Getting a Second Opinion
Even if you have received your diagnosis and treatment options from another facility, you can still meet with the Centegra cancer team to help you feel more certain about the treatment plan you choose.