Breastfeeding Resource Center in McHenry County
The Centegra Breastfeeding Resource Center offers outpatient services and consultations for breastfeeding mothers and their babies. The first of its kind in McHenry County, the Centegra Breastfeeding Resource Center serves all new moms in the community, whether they deliver at a Centegra-based hospital or not. Pregnant women are also welcome to talk to Centegra’s experienced Associates, who will provide the latest information about breastfeeding and its benefits.
Staffed by nurses who are internationally board-certified lactation consultants (IBCLC), the patient-friendly Centegra Breastfeeding Resource Center is designed to help you with breastfeeding questions, product choices, and clinical support needs. Located on the ground floor of Centegra Hospital-Woodstock, the breastfeeding center:
- Promotes healthy mothers and babies
- Assists mothers and babies through private, one-to-one outpatient consultations
- Provides a convenient resource for standard and hard-to-find breastfeeding products
- Conducts private bra fittings for nursing bras
- Provides McHenry-based Medela products, supplies and accessories, including Medela breast pumps for sale or lease
- Answers general questions and concerns about the breastfeeding process
- Works with you to determine insurance coverage
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Centegra Health System encourages you to try breastfeeding because of the many benefits to both you and your baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) also recommends breastfeeding and urges mothers to breastfeed babies for a year (exclusively for the first six months of life). The benefits of breastfeeding include:
- Decreased risk of breast and ovarian cancers in mothers and infants
- Decreased risk of obesity and diabetes in children who were breastfed
- Increased immunity to common illnesses in children who were breastfed
- Facilitates pregnancy weight loss in mother
- Saves money… it’s free!
Make an Appointment
Outpatient services are available by appointment seven days a week at the Centegra Breastfeeding Resource Center at Centegra Hospital-Woodstock. Consultations are billed in 15-minute increments. Payment is requested at time of service.
To schedule an appointment at the Centegra Breastfeeding Resource Center, call 877-CENTEGRA (236-8347).
Other Breastfeeding Support Services at Centegra
The Centegra Breastfeeding Warmline is a free telephone support line offered through the Centegra Family Birth Center at Centegra Hospital-McHenry. The Centegra Breastfeeding Warmline is available to all breastfeeding moms, regardless of where you delivered your baby. Call with questions about breastfeeding at every stage, from before your child’s birth to weaning, leave a message for the lactation consultant and you will receive a return call that same day.
Contact the Centegra Breastfeeding Warmline at (815) 759-4440. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Breastfeeding Support Group
Studies have shown that group support for breastfeeding mothers has the greatest influence on breastfeeding success. Centegra’s Family Birth Centers offer free breastfeeding support groups where you can discuss with other moms the joys and challenges of breastfeeding. The group is staffed by Centegra’s internationally board-certified lactation consultants and includes an infant weight check.
For more information on breastfeeding support groups in McHenry and Woodstock, call the Centegra Family Birth Centers:
Centegra Family Birth Center at Centegra Hospital-McHenry: (815) 759-4860
Centegra Family Birth Center at Centegra Hospital-Woodstock: (815) 334-3850