Heart Surgery Options in McHenry County
Centegra offers comprehensive cardiothoracic surgical procedures in partnership with Cardiac Surgery Associates (CSA), the largest heart surgery group in Illinois. Each year, CSA’s board-certified surgeons perform more than 7,000 cardiac procedures, including 3,600 open-heart surgeries. Advanced cardiac procedures offered at Centegra include:
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG)
Bypass surgery is most commonly performed on the coronary arteries, which supply blood to the heart. During CABG surgery, the physician takes a graft vein or artery from a healthy blood vessel in the body and surgically attaches it above and below the blocked artery. Blood will now flow through the grafted vessel and “bypass” the blocked artery.
Mitral Valve Repair
The mitral valve controls blood flow in the left side of your heart and keeps blood from leaking backward when the heart pumps. Mitral valve repair is heart surgery that can alleviate symptoms such as shortness of breath and palpitations due to valve disease. Traditionally, problems with the mitral valve were treated with valve replacement surgery. Now, patients who suffer from mitral valve prolapse are candidates for mitral valve repair surgery, which offers many advantages:
- Prevents irreversible damage to the heart
- Improves your long-term survival rate by enhancing the performance of the heart
- Decreases the risk for stroke and the need for medications
Heart Valve Replacement Surgery
Healthy heart valves are essential for directing the blood flow through the body. Valve replacement surgery is an open heart procedure commonly performed on the mitral valve or the aortic valve. In this surgery, the heart surgeon replaces a poorly functioning or non-functioning valve with a mechanical valve or a tissue valve.
The Cox-Maze procedure is used to treat atrial fibrillation, the most common type of heart arrhythmia. In this surgery, the physician makes small incisions in the atria to create scar tissue, which blocks the abnormal electrical signals causing arrhythmia.
Carotid endarterectomy is a procedure that removes plaque buildup in the carotid arteries. In this procedure, the surgeon makes a small incision in the neck and opens the blocked artery to remove the plaque. A graft from another vessel is sometimes used to widen or repair the artery.
A cardiac concierge is available at Centegra Health System to assist you and your family during your hospital stay. Centegra’s cardiac concierge helps with:
- Dining reservations
- Hospital information
- And more
Throughout the development of Centegra’s cardiac surgery program, we collected feedback and guidance from clinical experts and a community advisory group made up of past heart surgery patients and their families. Their insight and suggestions helped us design a program that will meet all of your physical and emotional needs, as well as the needs of your family, before, during, and after your cardiovascular procedure. Our special amenities include:
- Beepers: Your family will carry a beeper during your procedure so we can notify them immediately when you are out of surgery.
- Patient education: A variety of resources about cardiac care and related topics is available in the cardiac waiting room. Internet access is also available.
- Meeting room: You and your family will have a pre-operative meeting with your case manager.
- Waiting rooms: One waiting room has a television for your loved ones’ enjoyment. A quiet waiting area is also available.
- Relaxation: Stereos with headsets are available in each patient room to assist you with post-operative relaxation and rehabilitation.
- Massage: You will be offered a complimentary massage several days after your operation to assist with your relaxation and overall well-being.
To reach the Cardiac Concierge, call (815) 759-4245.