Prostate Cancer Facts
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer for men. The American Cancer Society reports that one in six men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some time in their lives. Prostate cancer is an uncontrolled cancerous growth of cells in the prostate gland.
Early detection and prevention through screenings and education are critical for men beginning at the age of 40. Men should have a baseline Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) and Digital Rectal Examination (DRE) and those who are at high risk or who are African-American should talk to their doctors to see if a yearly PSA and DRE should be part of their annual physical exams. All men age 50 and older should discuss a yearly PSA and DRE as part of their annual physical exams. Talk to your physician about your family history.
Centegra Sage Cancer Center in McHenry provides regular screenings for prostate cancer. To participate, you must:
- Be age 50 or older
- Have no history of prostate cancer or disease
- Have no history of prostate surgery
Prostate screenings cost $20 and registration is required. To learn more and register, call 877-CENTEGRA (236-8347).
Diagnosis and Treatment
Centegra Sage Cancer Center in McHenry uses leading-edge technologies and advanced therapies to diagnose and treat prostate cancer, including the latest in minimally invasive surgery with our specialized surgeons using the da Vinci® Robotic Surgery System. The da Vinci® System is ideal for prostatectomy and other urologic surgeries because the target area is tightly confined and surrounded by nerves affecting urinary control and sexual function.
Other treatments and technologies available for prostate cancer include:
- Conventional External Beam Radiation Therapy
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Tomotherapy and Image Guided Radiation Therapy
- High-Dose Rate Brachytherapy
- Prostate HDR
- On-site medical oncology practices for chemotherapy, immunotherapy and biological response modifier therapy
- Clinical research protocols
- Medical imaging including on-site PET/CT, MRI and ultrasound
- Nuclear medicine
Visit the Centegra Sage Cancer Center page to learn more.