Welcome to the Centegra Diabetes Center
At Centegra, we want you to live an active, healthy lifestyle. The experienced staff at the Centegra Diabetes Center helps make this goal a reality. As the only American Diabetes Association-recognized program in McHenry County, we are confident our certified physicians and registered dietitians will provide you thorough diabetes education.
Are You at Risk for Diabetes?
If you think you may have diabetes, you can determine whether your symptoms indicate risk, and learn more about diabetes on our Risk Assessment page. If you have several symptoms or risk factors, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with a Centegra physician. The sooner you see a doctor, the sooner you can improve your life.
Prolonged or untreated diabetes has serious effects. Elevated glucose levels increase the risk of the following complications:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Heart attack
- Kidney disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), diabetes has grown to epidemic proportions:
- Diabetes is the sixth leading cause of death by disease in this country.
- One out of five people with Type 2 diabetes will have a long-term complication.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness, leading to loss of sight in 12,000 to 24,000 people each year.
- More than 65,000 leg and foot amputations each year are the result of diabetes.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of stroke and heart disease.
Appointment & Referrals
If you think you have diabetes, Centegra can help you find a physician or process your referral so you can begin Diabetes Self-Management Training. Prior to beginning training, you must have a referral from a physician who diagnoses diabetes. Documentation of your diagnosis or a diagnosis code is required when you check with your insurance company.
How to Obtain a Referral
- If you already have a physician, call your doctor and ask the office staff to fax your referral to the Diabetes Center at (815) 356-2385.
- If you do not have a physician or wish to make an appointment, call us at (815) 334-5566 or send an email to email@example.com and we will assist you.
A Team of Certified Diabetes Educators in McHenry and Woodstock
The certified diabetes educators in the Centegra Diabetes Center work as a team. They come from a variety of fields and have the same goal: to make your experience at Centegra Health System the best. The knowledgeable Associates you may work with during your experience at the Diabetes Center include:
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Two registered dietitians (se hablañ espanol)
- Nurse coordinators
- Counselors and the staff in the Centegra Weight-Loss Surgery Center