February is heart month and Centegra Health System encourages men and women 40 years and older to check their risk for stroke with a comprehensive vascular screening. Vascular disease is among the leading causes of death in the United States, yet is generally asymptomatic until a catastrophic event occurs, such as a stroke or aneurysm rupture. Although preventive screening is available, millions of Americans at risk for stroke or death from vascular disorders remain unaware of their risk.
The Centegra Wellness on the Move mobile health unit offers this potentially life-saving screening. The mobile health unit has technicians and equipment that help to screen and diagnose health problems at many stages and promotes education, while building awareness and responsibility for one’s own health.
According to the Society for Vascular Surgery, stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. Each year, 137,000 people die annually from this disorder. A large proportion of strokes are caused by plaque in the carotid arteries. In 2010, it was estimated that Americans would pay about $73.7 billion for stroke-related medical costs and disability.
Centegra’s vascular screening program provides immediate preliminary results on the following tests:
- Ultrasound images of the carotid artery to detect plaque buildup
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) measurements to detect blockage risk and Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Heart rhythm EKG readout to detect Atrial Fibrillation
- Risk level for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
- Body Mass Index (BMI), pulse and blood pressure numbers
All results are completely confidential. Follow-up reports completed by a Centegra Health System radiologist are mailed to the patient within one week so he or she can easily share the information with a physician.
Upcoming dates and locations are as follows:
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 5 at Centegra Physician Care-Woodstock, 3707 Doty Road
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 7 at Centegra Health Bridge Fitness Center-Crystal Lake, 200 Congress Parkway
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12 at Centegra Physician Care-Huntley, 10350 Haligus Road
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19 at Centegra Hospital-Woodstock, 3701 Doty Road
- 9 a.m. to 2:30 pm. Thursday, Feb. 21 at Holiday Inn, Crystal Lake, 800 South Rt 31
Make a smart move and find out about the risk for heart disease. Cost is $129 for all tests. For a screening appointment, call 877-CENTEGRA (877-236-8347).
As the region’s leading healthcare provider, Centegra Health System continues to bring the latest treatments and technology, along with the skills of nearly 4,000 medical professionals, to meet the needs of the growing McHenry County community. For more information, visit Centegra Health System, find us on Facebook and Twitter or call 877-CENTEGRA (877-236-8347).