Technicians, equipment part of mobile health unit service
CRYSTAL LAKE — Vascular disease is among the leading causes of death in the United States, yet is generally asymptomatic until a catastrophic event occurs, such as a stroke or aneurysm rupture. Although preventive screening is available, millions of Americans at risk for stroke or death from vascular disorders remain unaware of their risk.
The Centegra Wellness on the Move mobile health unit offers this potentially life-saving screening. The mobile health unit has technicians and equipment that help to screen and diagnose health problems at many stages and promotes education, while building awareness and responsibility for one’s own health.
Upcoming dates and locations are as follows:
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, June 3 at Crystal Lake Medical Arts, 360 Station Drive
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 17 at Centegra Health Center-Huntley, 10350 Haligus Road
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, June 19 at Centegra Hospital-McHenry, 4201 Medical Center Drive
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, June 24 at Centegra Physician Care-Spring Grove, 1906 Holian Drive
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday, June 30 at Woodstock Recreation Center, 820 Lake Avenue
For a screening appointment, call 877-CENTEGRA (236-8347).
According to the Society for Vascular Surgery, stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. Each year, 137,000 people die annually from this disorder. A large proportion of strokes are caused by plaque in the carotid arteries. In 2010, it was estimated that Americans would pay about $73.7 billion for stroke-related medical costs and disability.
Centegra’s vascular screening program provides immediate preliminary results on the following tests:
- Ultrasound images of the carotid artery to detect plaque buildup
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) measurements to detect blockage risk and Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Heart rhythm EKG readout to detect Atrial Fibrillation
- Risk level for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
- Body Mass Index (BMI), pulse and blood pressure numbers
All results are completely confidential. Follow-up reports completed by a Centegra Health System radiologist are mailed to the patient within one week so he or she can easily share the information with a physician. Cost is $129.
Centegra also offers additional comprehensive screening packages that include all the tests provided within the vascular screening plus an echocardiogram, a full lipid panel, glucose testing and more. For more information about all of the screenings offered through the Centegra Wellness on the Move mobile health unit, visit centegra.org/screenings. For a screening appointment, call 877-CENTEGRA (877-236-8347).
Centegra Health System is committed to meeting the health care needs of the residents of greater McHenry County and to making services available in multiple and convenient locations, including hospitals in McHenry and Woodstock, Immediate and Physician Care Centers, Centegra Sage Cancer Center, and Health Bridge Fitness Centers.
As the region’s leading health care provider, Centegra Health System continues to bring the latest treatments and technology, along with the skills of nearly 4,000 associates, to meet the needs of the growing McHenry County community. For more information on Centegra Health System visit centegra.org, search Centegra Health System on Facebook and Twitter or call 877-CENTEGRA (236-8347).