Vascular disease is among the leading causes of death in the United States, yet is generally asymptomatic until a catastrophic event occurs, such as a stroke or aneurysm rupture. Although preventive screening is available, millions of Americans at risk for stroke or death from vascular disorders remain unaware of their risk.
The Centegra Wellness on the Move mobile health unit offers this potentially life-saving screening. The mobile health unit has technicians and equipment that help to screen and diagnose health problems at many stages and promotes education, while building awareness and responsibility for one’s own health.
According to the Society for Vascular Surgery, stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. Each year, 137,000 people die annually from this disorder. A large proportion of strokes are caused by plaque in the carotid arteries. In 2010, it was estimated that Americans would pay about $73.7 billion for stroke-related medical costs and disability.
Centegra’s vascular screening program provides immediate preliminary results on the following tests:
- Ultrasound images of the carotid artery to detect plaque buildup
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) measurements to detect blockage risk and Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Heart rhythm EKG readout to detect Atrial Fibrillation
- Risk level for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
- Body Mass Index (BMI), pulse and blood pressure numbers
All results are completely confidential. Follow-up reports completed by a Centegra Health System radiologist are mailed to the patient within one week so he or she can easily share the information with a physician. Cost is $129.
Upcoming dates and locations are as follows:
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 1 at Centegra Hospital-Woodstock, 3701 Doty Road
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 8 at Centegra Physician Care-Spring Grove, 1906 Holian Drive
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 15 at McHenry County College, 8900 U.S. Highway 14, Crystal Lake
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Centegra Physician Care-Huntley, 10350 Haligus Road
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 29 at Centegra Health Bridge Fitness Center-Crystal Lake, 200 E. Congress Parkway
Centegra also offers additional comprehensive screening packages that include all the tests provided within the vascular screening plus an echocardiogram, a full lipid panel, glucose testing and more. For more information about all of the screenings offered through the Centegra Wellness on the Move mobile health unit, visit centegra.org/screenings. For a screening appointment, call 877-CENTEGRA (877-236-8347).