There are a number of ways to prevent and reverse atherosclerosis. They include:
- Eat a healthy diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It should also be rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight. If you are overweight, lose weight.
- Don’t smoke. If you smoke, quit.
- Control diabetes.
- If your doctor recommends it, take medication to reduce your risk factors. This may include medicine for high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- Talk to your doctor about screening tests for coronary artery disease if you have risk factors.