The McHenry County Sheriff’s Office reminds residents that preparation is the key to a safe Halloween experience. Sheriff’s deputies will be paying extra attention to the residential areas during trick or treating hours. If you see suspicious activity or need assistance, remember to call your local police or sheriff’s office.
Listed below are safety tips to help you prepare.
- Only trick-or-treat during hours designated by the community.
- Children should only visit familiar homes that have the porch light on.
- Make sure older children trick-or-treat with friends and carry a cell phone for quick communication.
- Younger children should walk in groups with older children or be accompanied by an adult.
- Children should never enter a home, but should wait on the porch for the resident to hand out treats.
- Children should be instructed to refrain from eating any treats until after they get home.
- Parents should inspect their children’s treats before allowing the children to eat them.
- Only eat candy wrapped in its original wrapper and inspect all fruit thoroughly before allowing children to eat it.
- In Illinois, registered sex offenders on parole or probation are prohibited from distributing candy or other items to anyone under 18 years of age.
Visit www.mchenrysheriff.org for more information on registered sex offenders and Halloween safety pointers for parents.