Are you pressed for time? Interval training is a great way to improve your endurance and exercise performance in a short amount of time. Athletes know the magic of interval training; they use this type of training all the time to improve their performance. Interval training is a method of training where you increase and decrease the intensity of your workout between aerobic and anaerobic training.
To train in intervals, you push your body past the comfortable aerobic threshold for a few moments and then return to your aerobic conditioning level. The intensity varies depending on your level of fitness. Aim for a 1:3 ratio of high-intensity exercise to lower intensity.
If you’re just starting an exercise program, walk for a few minutes and then jog for one. If you jog regularly, you can incorporate sprints for one minute and then jog at your regular pace for three minutes. Continue this pace for the duration of your workout and then cool down for several minutes.
There are several advantages to interval training:
- It burns more calories in a shorter amount of time
- Studies have shown it’s an effective way to improve heart health
- It’s a quick way to improve overall fitness
- It’s an effective way to increase your metabolism (the amount of calories we burn at rest)
- This type of training helps reduce boredom during long exercise sessions
Call 815-444-2900 to find a Centegra Health Bridge Fitness Center trainer who can help you light your inner torch.