Not everyone experiences the classic chest pain symptoms of a heart attack. Women and people with chronic health conditions can have different symptoms that may not even include pain. If you experience chest pain or any of the following symptoms, call 911 to receive immediate medical help.
Symptoms of a heart attack include:
- Chest pain
- May start as mild discomfort and progress to more intense pain
- May come and go
- May feel like a weight on the chest or a squeezing sensation
- Discomfort in other parts of the upper body
- Pain in the arms, back, jaw, neck or stomach
- Shortness of breath
- A sensation of difficulty breathing
- Rapid or shallow breathing
- Nausea and vomiting
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, the best way to receive rapid treatment is to call 911. Our region’s first responders are trained to provide outstanding care and they begin your treatment before you reach the hospital. Their lifesaving skills and detailed communication with Centegra’s heart team make sure you get the care you need as soon as you arrive in our Emergency Departments.
Talk to your doctor about your risks for heart attack. To find a Centegra Physician Care doctor near you, call 815-338-6600.
Source: American Heart Association