One of the easiest and most efficient ways to work out is to use your own body weight for resistance. Not only are body-weight workouts popular in current workout trends, but these types of workouts and exercises have long been used in the military and athletic training world. Here are some reasons to include body weight exercises in your workout regimen:
- The exercises are very efficient because they use multiple muscle groups at once, therefore cutting down on your workout time.
- Some exercises have both cardiovascular and strength training effects at the same time due to the movement patterns and heart rate demands.
- They offer benefits for all fitness levels because they can be easily modified.
- Improve core strength because many body-weight exercises require core stabilization activation to complete.
- Convenience! Body weight exercises eliminate many of the obstacles we face when trying to stick to a program – i.e. don’t have time, don’t have equipment, don’t belong to a gym.
- They can encourage better balance abilities because many body weight exercises encourage increased body awareness and control.
- Results! Body-weight exercises get results.
Some of our favorite body-weight exercises include:
- Mountain climbers
- Wall sits
- Tuck jumps