Centegra Health System encourages women to try breastfeeding because of its many benefits to both you and your baby. The Family Birth Centers at Centegra Hospital – McHenry and Centegra Hospital – Woodstock have International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) on staff to help support you in your decision to breastfeed. Beginning in the delivery room, continuing through post-partum care and even after you get home, Centegra’s lactation consultants will be there to support you as you breastfeed. Their expertise and knowledge comes from extensive training and experience with breastfeeding mothers.
Breastfeeding has many benefits including:
- Decreases risk of breast and ovarian cancers in both mother and infant
- Decreases risk of obesity and diabetes in infant
- Increases immunity to common illnesses in infant
- Facilitates pregnancy weight loss in mother
- Saves money… it’s free!
Centegra’s Breastfeeding Resources
- Centegra Breastfeeding Resource Center
- Centegra Breastfeeding Resource Center Facebook Page
- Breastfeeding Warmline
- Breastfeeding Support Group
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that mothers breastfeed babies for a year (exclusively for the first six months of life). The AAP suggests that breastfeeding should then continue according to family preferences.