Patients and their family members consistently rank the Centegra Sage Cancer Center team as excellent in patient satisfaction, specifically in the areas of radiation therapy, chemotherapy, symptom management and personal issues.
During your visits to the center, you may meet a range of oncology-specialized professionals who will assist you with your care.
- Radiation Oncology Physicians
- Radiation Therapy and Planning Team
- Oncology Nursing Team
- Support Team
- Community Outreach
Radiation Oncology Physicians
Our Radiation Oncology Physicians are board-certified by the American Board of Radiology in the specialty of Radiation Oncology. Our physicians have more than 125 years combined in the field of radiation oncology. All are active members with the American College of Radiology (ACR). They direct all aspects of the patient’s daily radiation therapy treatments as well as side-effect management. Some of their daily and weekly duties include:
- Approval of treatment plans and all weekly filming of treatment fields
- Weekly check-in with patients about treatment
- Side-effect management
- Referral to other therapies or services as an adjunct to cancer treatment
- Initial consultations and regular follow ups after treatment completion
- Working closely with entire cancer team to assure the best possible outcome for the patient
Radiation Therapy and Planning Team
Our radiation therapy and planning team has more than 40 years of experience designing radiation therapy treatment plans and delivering those plans through the use of our specialized oncology equipment. This highly trained and dedicated team includes radiation therapists, medical dosimetristsand medical physicists. They are the core of the radiation therapy department and create individualized, custom plans for each patient to maximize the effectiveness of the radiation therapy prescribed.
Radiation therapists are radiology technicians who are trained and licensed to deliver radiation treatment as prescribed by the Radiation Oncologist. They are certified in radiation therapy by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) and are members of American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT).
- Prepare the patient for treatment
- Operate the radiation equipment
- Schedule daily treatments
- Monitor the daily radiation dose delivery
Our Board Certified Medical Dosimetrists are credentialed through the Medical Dosimetry Credentialing Board (MDCB) and are active members of the American Association of Medical Dosimetrists (AAMD).
- Develop treatment plans that are able to destroy the cancer while sparing normal tissue
- Work closely with Radiation Oncologists and Medical Physicists to create individualized treatment plans
- Ensure the radiation dose is accurate and safely given
- Utilize and maintain highly sophisticated computers and software used in plan creation
The Medical Physics team are Masters prepared in the Science of Medical Physics and are members of American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM). Our Chief Physicist is a Diplomat of American College of Radiology (DABR).
- Oversee all radiation procedures that include brachytherapy and treatment planning
- Provide a second check and approve all plans created by medical dosimetry
- Work closely with the Radiation Oncologist on the complexities of each plan
- Calibrate all radiation therapy equipment
- Monitor radiation safety for both patients and team members
- Serve on Centegra’s Radiation Safety Committee
Oncology Nursing Team
All of the nurses who are a part of Centegra’s oncology nursing team are oncology certified through the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC) and follow the national standards and guidelines of the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS). They are all highly trained to care for the unique needs of cancer patients. This team includes our patient care technicians, radiation oncology nurses and infusion treatment nurses.
Patient Care Technician
These individuals work closely with our nurses to assist in the care of all our cancer patients.
- Draws blood for testing
- Takes vital signs
- Assists with scheduling appointments for additional tests
Radiation Oncology Nursing
These nurses work closely with the Radiation Oncologists to educate patients and their families about radiation treatment. Their main priority is patient care.
- Radiation therapy side effect management
- Treatment and side effect education
- Weekly assessments
- Home care education and instruction
Infusion Treatment Clinic Nursing
These nurses work closely with the Medical Oncologists to educate patients and their families about chemotherapy treatments and other cancer-related infusion therapies. Their main priority is patient care.
- Administration of chemotherapy, biotherapy and blood products
- Administration of hydration and/or injections
- Side-effect management and education
- Non-oncology chemotherapy administrations
Our support team specializes in oncology and the unique needs of patients and families facing cancer treatment. These individuals include the front desk team, dietitian, social worker, counselor, medication assistance program coordinator and financial counselor.
Our dedicated Associates are experts in Cancer Services and help you connect with center resources. They assist you whenever you need help at the Centegra Sage Cancer Center with:
- Scheduling appointments
- Medical records requests
Specialist in Oncology Nutrition
Our dietitian is board-certified, registered and licensed through the American Dietetic Association. With more than 10 years of experience in oncology, our dietitian focuses on nutritional counseling for people with cancer, specifically in the areas of:
- Assessment of individual nutritional needs
- Side effect management
- Use of vitamins and supplements
- Healthy weight management during and after treatment
Oncology Certified Licensed Clinical Social Worker (AOSW)
Our Oncology Certified Licensed Clinical Social Worker has provided counseling and support for more than 20 years. Our social worker provides an individualized support plan to enable patients and their families to connect with resources within the system and the community.
- Provides family, marital and individual counseling
- Facilitates oncology-related support groups
- Coordinates resources for patients undergoing treatment
- Maintains close relationships with the American Cancer Society and other national and local organizations
Trained as an Oncology Chaplain, Certified Thanatologist and Licensed Professional Counselor with over 10 years of experience, this individual provides support to patients and their supportive community throughout the cancer experience. Our oncology counselor/chaplain uses spiritual, therapeutic and expressive arts to promote holistic wellness in cancer management. Support is available for:
- Individual and family counseling
- Survivorship issues
- Advance Directives planning
- Grief counseling
Medication Assistance Program Coordinator
The certified information and resource specialist researches pharmaceutical assistance programs and determines which patients may qualify for assistance.
- Determines current prescription coverage
- Educates patients about Medicare Part D programs
- Assists with the Senior Health Insurance Program
- Provides support to ensure patients’ medication and treatment needs are met
The financial counselor works with patients to address all financial concerns before any treatment begins.
- Provides treatment cost estimates upon request
- Estimates out-of-pocket costs and obtains insurance benefit information
- Sets up payment plans
- Assists patients with financial issues related to treatment costs
The goal of the Community Outreach Coordinator is to support and educate the community about health and wellness, specifically regarding cancer prevention and screening guidelines.
- Participates in many community advocacy groups. with close involvement in the Illinois Department of Public Health and national and local cancer agencies
- Offers assistance in researching information about cancer-related subjects
- Coordinates screenings throughout the County
- Designs programs to educate our community about wellness and cancer prevention, such as the Get Checked! cancer program.