Services and Treatments
Centegra Sage Cancer Center offers state-of-the-art radiation oncology and infusion therapy services and a multidisciplinary approach to your care. Our compassionate staff supports you throughout your treatment.
Our experienced oncologists, oncology nurses, medical technologists and support staff provide consultation, treatment and follow-up care for patients with cancer and other conditions. We take pride in Centegra’s extensive list of advanced care therapies,diagnostic services and state-of-the-art equipment. Standard therapy techniques such as external beam radiation and internal beam radiation (brachytherapy) are available, too.
Another way Centegra provides the newest cancer treatments is by taking part in clinical trials. Our radiation and medical oncologists utilize the latest research to provide patients with the best care available.
Advanced Care Therapies
These new and expanded treatment options complement the already impressive revolutionary treatments used at Centegra.
- Conventional External Beam Radiation Therapy
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- TomoTherapy and Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- High-Dose Rate Brachytherapy
- Fletcher Implant
- Prostate Seed Implant
- Prostate HDR
- Strontium 89 administration
- Iodine 131 Thyroid Ablation
- On-site Medical Oncology practices for chemotherapy, immunotherapy and biological response modifier therapy
- Clinical research protocols
- Medical Imaging
- Digital mammography
- On-site PET/CT
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound
- Nuclear Medicine
- Surgical Services
Dedicated Cancer Support Services
- Nutritional support
- Medication assistance
- Financial assistance
- Individual and/or family counseling
- Wig consultation and styling services
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Breast Cancer Network of Strength Support Group
- Care for the Caregiver
- Bereavement Group
- Cancer Support Group
- Creating Expressions (expressive arts program)
- Look Good…Feel Better (in partnership with the American Cancer Society)
- Cancer Transitions (in conjunction with the Wellness Community and a grant provided by the Lance Armstrong Foundation)
- HOPE (High on Positive Energy)
- Partnering through Care
- Living with Grief
Additional Support Programs
- Home Health Care
- Pain Management
- Rehabilitation Services
- Patient Express
- Hospice services via referral
- Massage therapy, yoga, Tai Chi, meditation and stress management programs that complement traditional therapy services. These programs are offered in collaboration with Centegra’s Health Bridge Fitness Centers and Centegra Behavioral Health Services.
- Get Checked! program providing community screenings and prevention programs
- Gavers Cancer Resource Library with Internet access open to all community members
Centegra Health System is the first in McHenry County to have such advanced cancer treatment and we are excited to provide this innovative technology to the members of our community.
This sophisticated treatment system is the newest addition to the Centegra Sage Cancer Center. It uses Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) along with Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) to pinpoint the location of tumors with sub-millimeter accuracy on a daily basis (IGRT). TomoTherapy then treats the area and avoids surrounding healthy tissue (IMRT). Centegra is pleased to offer its patients the world’s most advanced cancer treatment technology.
Varian 2100 EX Linear Accelerator
This linear accelerator is the most commonly used treatment machine at Centegra Sage Cancer Center. It uses Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) or 3-Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy to deliver high-energy X-rays in a “conformed” or shaped dose to treat tumors close to vital organs. Very high doses of X-rays may also be used to treat tiny areas that were once considered untreatable due to their locations. The machine controls the intensity of the radiation beam (IMRT) to maximize treatment of tumor cells while minimizing treatment of surrounding healthy cells.
GammaMed Plus HDR Afterloader
High Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy, whether the SAVITM or Mammosite type, enables selected cancer patients to complete an entire course of post-lumpectomy partial breast irradiation in only one week.
Remote-controlled, computer-driven HDR Iridium-192 source may also be used to treat cervical and endometrial cancers, in addition to prostate, ano-rectal and bronchial cancers.
Treatment Planning Systems
With the goal of preserving as much normal tissue as possible, Centegra couples sophisticated computer planning systems with specialized imaging and laboratory services to deliver the optimal dose of radiation to tumors while avoiding healthy tissues. Such plans range from the relatively simple to very complicated depending on the individual patient’s needs.