Vascular disease is among the leading causes of death in the United States, yet is generally asymptomatic until a catastrophic event occurs, such as a stroke or aneurysm rupture. Although preventive screening is available, millions of Americans at risk for stroke or death from vascular disorders remain unaware of their risk. The Centegra Wellness on the Move mobile health unit offers a comprehensive vascular screening package to check the risk of stroke and heart disease.
The mobile health unit has technicians and equipment that help to screen and diagnose health problems at many stages and promotes education, while building awareness and responsibility for one’s own health.
Centegra’s vascular screening program provides immediate preliminary results on the following tests:
- Ultrasound images of the carotid artery to detect plaque buildup
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) measurements to detect blockage risk and Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Heart rhythm EKG readout to detect Atrial Fibrillation
- Risk level for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
- Body Mass Index (BMI), pulse and blood pressure numbers
All results are completely confidential. Follow-up reports completed by a Centegra Health System radiologist are mailed to the patient within one week so he or she can easily share the information with a physician.
Upcoming dates and locations are as follows:
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 10 at Woodstock Recreation Center, 800 Lake Avenue
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, July 12 at Centegra Physician Care-Spring Grove, 1906 Holian Drive
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 17 at Centegra Health Bridge Fitness Center-Huntley, 10450 Algonquin Road
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 24 at Centegra Health Bridge Fitness Center-Crystal Lake, 200 Congress Parkway
- 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, July 26 at Centegra Physician Care-Woodstock, 3707 Doty Road
According to the Society for Vascular Surgery, stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. Each year, 137,000 people die annually from this disorder. A large proportion of strokes are caused by plaque in the carotid arteries. In 2010, it was estimated that Americans would pay about $73.7 billion for stroke-related medical costs and disability.
Make a smart move and find out about the risk for heart disease. Cost is $129 for all tests. For a screening appointment, call 877-CENTEGRA (236-8347). This screening is part of Centegra’s Pearls for Wellness program where women can receive a pearl for participating in select health and wellness programs. To learn more, visit centegra.org/pearl.