Free Insurance Counseling for Seniors
In Illinois, there are 1.8 million Medicare beneficiaries and caregivers that wade through the troubled waters of today’s healthcare system confused, overwhelmed and frustrated about their insurance policies. As a result, some are drowning in medical bills. These are people who simply need an experienced individual to help them understand their policies.
Even people who are aware of the parameters of their health insurance coverage find they need assistance understanding the complexities of Medicare, which is most often the primary insurance for those over 65 or who are disabled.
SHIP, Senior Health Insurance Program, is a free insurance counseling service sponsored by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Division of Insurance, for Medicare beneficiaries and their caregivers. The Illinois Department of Insurance trains SHIP counselors to:
- Answer questions about Medicare, Medicare Supplement insurance, long-term care insurance, Medicare managed care plans (HMO, PPO & PFFS) and other health insurance
- Answer questions regarding prescription drug coverage through Medicare D and other sources
- Organize and assist in filing Medicare and Medicare Supplement claims
- Analyze Medicare Supplement and long-term care insurance policies
- Appeal claim denials
- Answer questions about Illinois Cares, a state sponsored program to help with the costs associated with Medicare D. Counselors will also assist with the completion of Illinois Cares/Circuit Breaker applications.
- Answer question about Extra Help, a federal program to assist low-income seniors with the costs associated with Medicare D. Counselors will also assist with the completion of Extra Help applications.
SHIP is not affiliated with any insurance company.
SHIP counselors do not sell or solicit any type of insurance.
Centegra Health System, a SHIP site that provides counseling for the McHenry County area, holds counseling sessions at Centegra Hospital – McHenry, Centegra Hospital – Woodstock and at The Wellness Center at Sun City Huntley for Del Webb residents.
For questions or to schedule an appointment in McHenry County, call (815) 759.4203. To reach the SHIP hotline, call (800) 548.9034.