Return to Index
(Infantile Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Structural defects that occur during fetal development
- Bacterial infection, such as Helicobacter pylori
- Family history of pyloric stenosis
- Bottle feeding
- Ethnicity—more common in Caucasian than in Hispanic, Asian, or African-American babies
- Your baby to act hungry most of the time
- Weight loss
- Signs of dehydration, such as less urination, dry mouth, and crying without tears
- Fewer bowel movements
- Blood-tinged vomit —occurs when repeated vomiting irritates the stomach, causing mild stomach bleeding
American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.healthychildren.org
The American Pediatric Surgical Association http://www.eapsa.org
Caring for Kids—Canadian Paediatric Society http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Hernanz-Schulman M. Infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Isr Med Assoc J. 2004;6:160-161.
Kim SS, Lau ST, Lee SL, et al. Pyloromyotomy: a comparison of laparoscopic, circumumbilical, and right upper quadrant operative techniques. J Am Coll Surg. 2005;201:66-70.
Peters B, Oomen MW, et al. Advances in infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014;8(5):533-541.
Pisacane A, de Luca U, Criscuolo L, et al. Breastfeeding and hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: population-based case-control study. BMJ. 1996;312:745-746.
Pyloric stenosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated April 14, 2014. Accessed September 30, 2014.
White JS, Clements WD, Heggarty P, et al. Treatment of infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis in a district general hospital: a review of 160 cases. J Pediatr Surg. 2003;38:1333-1336.
11/4/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance. Available at: http://dynamed.ebscohost.com: McAteer JP, Ledbetter DJ, et al. Role of bottle feeding in the etiology of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. JAMA Pediatr. 2013;167(12):1143-1149.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2014
- Update Date: 09/30/2014