Return to Index
The Benefits of Exercise After Delivery
Preparing for Postpartum Exercise
- Do not exercise vigorously in hot, humid weather or if you have a fever.
- Avoid jerky, jumping, or bouncing motions, or changing direction suddenly.
- Cool down after all workouts.
- Stop exercising immediately and consult your doctor if you experience pain, dizziness, rapid heart beat, pubic or back pain, bleeding, or palpitations.
- Remember to stay well hydrated.
Tips for Fitting Exercise In
- Slowly increase your activity level as tolerated.
- Trade babysitting with other mothers.
- Buy a jogging stroller.
- Invest in home exercise equipment and some exercise DVDs.
- Find a gym with reputable childcare facilities.
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org
American Council on Exercise http://www.acefitness.org
The Canadian Women's Health Network http://www.cwhn.ca
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org
ACOG Committee Obstetric Practice. ACOG Committee opinion. Number 267, January 2002 (Reaffirmed 2009): exercise during pregnancy and the postpartum period. Obstet Gynecol. 2002;99(1):171-17.
Crowell DT. Weight change in the postpartum period. A review of the literature. Journal of Nurse Midwifery . 1995; 40(5):418-423.
Getting in shape after your baby is born. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologist website. Available at: http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq131.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140131T1243185529. Accessed January 31, 2014.
Larson-Meyer DE. Effect of postpartum exercise on mothers and their offspring: a review of the literature. Obesity Research. 2002;10(8):841-853.
Postpartum period. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated December 5, 2013. Accessed January 31, 2014.
Ringdahl EN. Promoting postpartum exercise: an opportune time for change. The Physician and Sportsmedicine. 2002;30:2.
Wallace JP, Inbar G, Ernsthausen K. Infant acceptance of postexercise breast milk. Pediatrics. 1992;89(6 Pt 2):1245-1247.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 01/2014
- Update Date: 00/13/2014