Return to Index
Fetal Cardiac Dysfunction
- Pumping weakly
- Pumping irregularly
|Blood Flow Through the Heart|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Family history of congenital heart defect
- Certain chromosomal disorders in the child
- Previous pregnancy with fetal heart abnormalities or miscarriage
- Conditions during pregnancy, such as:
- Abnormal heart structure
- Blood flow problems
- Perinatologist or maternal-fetal medicine specialist—a doctor who specializes in the treatment of high-risk pregnancies
- Pediatric cardiologist—a doctor who specializes in heart conditions in children
- Visit your doctor regularly. Your doctor will monitor your health and the health of your baby. Certain tests may be able to detect a heart defect in a growing fetus.
- Have a healthy lifestyle. Eat healthy food and take prenatal vitamins.
- Do not drink alcohol, smoke, or use drugs. This is especially important if you are pregnant.
American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.healthychildren.org
American Heart Association http://www.heart.org
Canadian Cardiovascular Society http://www.ccs.ca
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada http://ww2.heartandstroke.ca
Congenital heart defects. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/Congenital-Heart-Defects%5FUCM%5F001090%5FSubHomePage.jsp. Accessed July 19, 2013.
Congenital heart defects. Nemours' Kids Health website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/heart/congenital%5Fheart%5Fdefects.html. Updated January 2012. Accessed July 19, 2013.
Evaluation and diagnosis. Children’s Hospital Boston website. Available at: http://childrenshospital.org/clinicalservices/Site540/mainpageS540P18.html. Accessed July 19, 2013.
Fetal echocardiography/your unborn baby's heart. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/SymptomsDiagnosisofCongenitalHeartDefects/Fetal-Echocardiography-Your-Unborn-Babys-Heart%5FUCM%5F315640%5FArticle.jsp. Accessed July 19, 2013.
Special tests for monitoring fetal health. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists website. Available at: http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq098.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130719T0549108390. Accessed July 19, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 07/2013
- Update Date: 05/11/2013