Return to Index
Lysosomal Storage Disease
(Glycoprotein Storage Diseases; Mucopolysaccharidoses; MPS)
- Fabry Morquio’s disease—affects the kidney, heart, and skin
- Gaucher disease —affects the spleen and bones, and causes anemia
- Hurler’s syndrome—affects the spleen, liver, joints, and eyes; causes intellectual disability and deafness
- Maroteaux-Larny disease—affects the skin, bones, liver, and spleen
- Niemann-Pick disease —affects the spleen, liver, and lungs
- Pompe disease—affects the liver, heart, and muscle tissue
- Tay-Sachs disease —affects the brain
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Recurrent infections or hernias
- Developmental delays
- Problems with hearing or sight
- Problems including pain with bones
- Problems with heart
- Dialysis —to remove substances from the blood
- Physical therapy
- Substrate Synthesis Inhibition Therapy (SSI)—medication that decreases the item that build up in the cells due to missing enzymes.
- Enzyme Replacement Therapy (ERT)—Working enzymes are delivered through an IV to do the job of the defective enzymes.
- Stem Cell Transplant— stem cells are transplanted through IV to encourage the body to make the missing enzyme.
Lysosomal Disease Network http://www.lysosomaldiseasenetwork.org/
National MPS Society http://www.mpssociety.org/
Canadian Society for Mucopolysaccharide & Related Diseases http://www.mpssociety.ca/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Lysosomal Storage Disease. American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy website. Available at: http://www.asgct.org/general-public/educational-resources/gene-therapy-and-cell-therapy-for-diseases/lysosomal-storage-diseases . Accessed June 24, 2013.
Lysosomal Storage Disease. Children's Hospitals amd Clinics of Minnesota website. Available at: http://www.childrensmn.org/services/other-programs-and-services/other-programs-and-services-e-l/genetics/lysosomal-storage-disease . Accessed June 24, 2013.
Lipid Storage Disease. National Institute of Neurological Disorders an Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/lipid%5Fstorage%5Fdiseases/detail%5Flipid%5Fstorage%5Fdiseases.htm . Accessed June 24, 2013.
Lysosomal Storage Disease. National Organization of Rare Diseases website. Available at: https://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/1132/viewFullReport . Accessed June 24, 2013.
Marsden D, Levy H. Newborn screening of lysosomal storage disorders. Clin Chem. 2010;56(7):1079.
Wynn RF, Wraith JE, Mercer J, et al. Improved metabolic correction in patients with lysosomal storage disease treated with hematopoietic stem cell transplant compared with enzyme replacement therapy. J Pediatr. 2009;154(4):609.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013
- Update Date: 06/03/2013