Return to Index
|TS may be inherited through genes, which make up DNA.|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Simple—eye blinking, facial grimacing, head jerking, arm or leg thrusting
- Complex—jumping, smelling, touching things or other people, twirling around
- Simple—throat clearing, coughing, sniffing, grunting, yelping, barking
- Complex—saying words or phrases that do not make sense in a given situation, saying obscene or socially unacceptable words (called coprolalia)
- Attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity (ADD or ADHD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Education and Counseling
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov/
Tourette Syndrome Association http://www.tsa-usa.org/
Tourette Syndrome Association of Ontario http://www.tourettesyndromeontario.ca/
Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada http://www.tourette.ca/
Bestha DP, Jeevarakshagan S, Madaan V. Management of tics and Tourette's disorder: an update. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010;11(11):1813-1822.
Children’s Hospital Boston. Tourette’s syndrome. Children’s Hospital Boston website. Available at: http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site1761/mainpageS1761P0.html . Accessed July 13, 2010.
Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin. Tourette’s disorder (TD). Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin website. Available at: http://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/22112/Nav/1/router.asp . Accessed July 13, 2010.
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. Tourette Syndrome and Medications. Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center website. Available at: http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/neurology/diagnose/tics-ts-meds.htm . Accessed July 13, 2010.
DynaMed Editorial Team. Tourette syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated June 24, 2010. Accessed July 13, 2010.
Franklin SA, Walther MR, Woods DW. Behavioral interventions for tic disorders. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2010;33(3):641-655.
Rosenblum L. Tourette syndrome. EBSCO Health Library website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/healthLibrary/ . Updated November 12, 2009. Accessed July 13, 2010.
Schub T. Tourette’s syndrome. EBSCO Nursing Reference Center website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/pointOfCare/nrc-about . Updated April 16, 2010. Accessed July 13, 2010.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013
- Update Date: 06/20/2013