Return to Index
|Urinary Tract System|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- An obstruction, bulge, or narrowing in the tube that carries urine from the kidney to the bladder
- In boys, flaps of tissue obstructing the tube that carries urine out of the body or narrowing of the tip of the penis
- The backwards flow of urine from the bladder into the kidneys
- Problems with the tube that carries urine to the bladder or in the way that it connects
- Pain in the back, sides, abdomen, or groin
- Blood in the urine
- Trouble feeding
- Poor growth
- Symptoms of urinary tract infection
- Urine tests
- Blood tests
- Over-the-counter medication to reduce pain and/or fever
- Antibiotics to prevent or treat infection
American Kidney Fund http://www.akfinc.org
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org
BC Children’s Hospital http://www.bcchildrens.ca
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ca
Herz D, Merguerian P, et al. Continuous antibiotic prophylaxis reduces the risk of febrile UTI in children with asymptomatic antenatal hydronephrosis with either ureteral dilation, high-grade vesicoureteral reflux, or ureterovesical junction obstruction. J Pediatr Urol. Published online July 22, 2014. Available at: http://www.jpurol.com/article/S1477-5131%2814%2900178-8/fulltext. Accessed August 13, 2014.
Hydronephrosis. Children’s Hospital Boston website. Available at: http://www.childrenshospital.org/health-topics/conditions/hydronephrosis. Accessed August 13, 2014.
Hydronephrosis. University of California Davis Health System website. Available at: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/urology/downloads/kurzrock%5Fhandouts%5FPDF/Hydronephrosis.pdf. Accessed August 13, 2014.
Hydronephrosis. University of California San Francisco Benioff Children's Hospital website. Available at: http://www.ucsfbenioffchildrens.org/conditions/hydronephrosis/index.html. Accessed August 13, 2014.
Vesicoureteral reflux. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 30, 2014. Accessed August 13, 2014. 4/1/2014 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Choosing wisely. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated March 26, 2014. Accessed August 13, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2014
- Update Date: 08/13/2014