Return to Index
Fluid Restricted Diet
What Is a Fluid Restricted Diet?
Why Should I Follow a Fluid Restricted Diet?
How Much Fluid Can I Have?
What Foods Should be Limited on the Fluid Restricted Diet?
- All beverages
All foods that are liquid at room temperature:
- Ice cubes
- Ice cream
- Watery fruit
Keep a fluid log:
- Record your daily fluid intake.
- Make sure you know how much fluid your bowls, mugs, and glasses hold. (To determine this, fill each with water. Then, pour the water into a measuring cup.)
- Weigh yourself daily or according to your doctor’s orders. A rapid change in weight can be the result of fluid gain or loss.
To reduce your thirst and alleviate dry mouth:
- Eat a diet low in sodium.
- Chew on ice chips.
- Suck on sugar-free hard candy.
- Chew gum.
- Work with a dietitian to develop an individualized eating plan.
American Dietetic Association http://www.eatright.org/
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca/
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ca/
American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.americanheart.org . Accessed January 19, 2009.
Bots CP, Brand H, Veerman E, et al. Chewing gum and a saliva substitute alleviate thirst and xerostomia in patients on hemodialysis. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation . 2005;20(3):578-584.
- Reviewer: Dianne Scheinberg Rishikof MS, RD, LDN
- Review Date: 03/2013
- Update Date: 03/15/2013