Return to Index
Boutonnière Deformity of Finger
(BD; Buttonhole Deformity; Central Slip Disruption; Central Slip Injury; Deformity of Finger, Boutonnière; Extensor Tendon Rupture; PIP Joint Sprain)
|Tendons in Finger|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- A powerful blow to the finger
- A cut to the finger’s central slip
- An injury to the middle finger joint (called the proximal interphalangeal [PIP] joint)
- A severe burn on the hand
- Having rheumatoid arthritis or Dupuytren’s contracture
- Participating in rough sports, especially those involving catching and throwing balls (eg, football, basketball)
- Muscle strength
- Joint damage
- Range of motion
- Presence of swelling
- Evidence of infection
- Tenderness in the finger
- Corticosteroids—to reduce inflammation
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS)—to reduce pain and inflammation
- Applied to the middle joint to fully extend it
- Used for 3-6 weeks
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Other techniques: massage, ultrasound therapy, electrical stimulation
- Wear the proper equipment when playing sports.
- If you have rheumatoid arthritis, ask you doctor about ways to protect your joints.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.aaos.org
National Institutes of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases http://www.niams.nih.gov
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
Canadian Physiotherapy Association http://www.physiotherapy.ca
Boutonniere deformity of the finger. Orthogate website. Available at: http://www.orthogate.org/patient-education/hand/boutonniere-deformity-of-the-finger.html. Updated July 27, 2006. Accessed October 24, 2012.
Dupuytren disease. EBSCO Publishing DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated January 17, 2012. Accessed October 23, 2012.
Sports-related wrist and hand injuries. EBSCO Patient Education Reference Center website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/pointofcare. Updated May 21, 2012. Accessed October 23, 2012.
To P, Watson JT. Boutonniere deformity. J Hand Surg Am. 2011 Jan; 36(1):139-42.
- Reviewer: Teresa Briedwell, DPT, OCS
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013