Return to Index
Symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes
- Unexplained weight loss
- Increased urination (polyuria)
- Extreme thirst (polydipsia)
- Fatigue, weakness
- Blurry vision
- Nausea, diarrhea , or constipation
- Chest pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Dehydration following frequent urination
- Drowsiness, poor concentration
- Abnormally deep and fast breathing
- Flushed face
- Dry skin and mouth
- Fruity breath odor
- Rapid and weak pulse
- Low blood pressure
American Diabetes Association website. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/.
Braunwald E. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 15th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2001.
Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2005;28:537-542.
Ketoacidosis. American Diabetes Association website. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ketoacidosis-dka.html. Accessed November 30, 2009.
- Reviewer: Kim A. Carmichael, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 09/2014
- Update Date: 09/17/2014