Return to Index
Treatments for Sickle Cell Disease
- Managing and preventing acute crisis episodes
- Managing chronic pain
- Managing anemia
- Preventing and treating infections
- Managing complications and organ damage
- Medical support when needed such as:
- Lifestyle changes
- Gene therapy
- Combination of clotrimazole and magnesium
Cecil Textbook of Medicine. 22nd ed. W.B. Saunders; 2003.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov.
Sickle Cell Disease Association of America website. Available at: http://www.sicklecelldisease.org.
Weiner CM. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2008.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013
- Update Date: 05/11/2013