Return to Index
Other Treatments for Shingles
Comfort Measures for Managing Pain and Itching
When to Contact Your Doctor
- Develop a fever
- Have increased redness and swelling or streaks of red around the area of your skin rash
- Have pus coming from the rash
- Notice an odor associated with your skin rash
- Have a rash on your face, which increases the risk of a serious eye infection
- Have severe pain that is not relieved by the measures recommended by your doctor
Shingles. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated August 20, 2012. Accessed September 7, 2012.
Shingles (herpes zoster). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/overview.html. Updated January 10, 2011. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- Reviewer: David Horn, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014
- Update Date: 05/28/2014