Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor About Psoriasis
You have a unique medical history. Therefore, it is essential to talk with your doctor about your personal risk factors and/or experience with psoriasis. By talking openly and regularly with your doctor, you can take an active role in your care.
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your doctor:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
- Based on my medical history and family background, am I at risk for psoriasis?
- Do any of the medications I currently use put me at risk for developing or worsening psoriasis?
- Am I at risk of other conditions because of my psoriasis?
- What is the best treatment for my type of psoriasis?
- What medications are available to help me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary or herbal supplements that I am already taking for other conditions?
- Is there any long-term health risk associated with my psoriasis medications?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
- According to the type of psoriasis I have and the medications I use, should I limit or increase my exposure to sunlight?
- Do certain foods affect psoriasis?
- How can I decrease my susceptibility to outbreaks of psoriasis?
- Will my psoriasis recur? If so, how often?
- Are there any new developments in psoriasis research that are relevant to my condition?
American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aad.org/default.htm.
National Psoriasis Foundation website. Available at: http://www.psoriasis.org/home.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014
- Update Date: 12/20/2014