Return to Index
Symptoms of Pneumonia
|Effects of Pneumonia on the Lungs|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Fever or below-normal temperature
- Rapid breathing
- Cough, may be dry or may produce sputum
- Increased sputum
- Chest or abdominal pain
- Shortness of breath
- Pain through to the back
- Pain with deep breathing
- Rattle sound in the chest
- Loss of energy, fatigue
- Nausea and vomiting
- General muscle aches and pains
- Lack of appetite
- Bluish color of the nails or lips due to diminished oxygen in the blood
- Mental confusion (This is common in the elderly.)
- Flaring nostrils with each breath
- Chest or ribs may suck in with each breath
- Grunting sound with breathing
Beovic B, Bonac B, et al. Aetiology and clinical presentation of mild community-acquired bacterial pneumonia. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis . 2003;22:584-591.
Pneumonia symptoms diagnosis and treatment. American Lung Association website. Available at: http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/pneumonia/symptoms-diagnosis-and.html . Accessed October 3, 2012.
Pneumonia in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated March 25, 2013. Accessed April 3, 2013.
Pneumonia in children. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated March 18, 2013. Accessed April 3, 2013.
What are the signs and symptoms of pneumonia? National Heart Lung Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pnu/signs.html . Updated March 1, 2011. Accessed April 3, 2013.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013
- Update Date: 06/24/2013