Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor about Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD)
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of things you may have missed.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
- Will I develop symptoms in the future? How soon will that happen??
- How likely is it that I will have complications like infection or gangrene ?
- Can you help me with foot care and advice, or do I have to see a podiatrist?
What medications do you recommend?
- What effects, both positive and negative, can I expect?
- Will they interact with anything I am already taking?
- How long will I have to take them?
- Are there alternative therapies that have been shown to help treat PAD?
- Will surgery ever be necessary?
- Am I doing all I can to address the causes of this condition to help keep it from getting worse?
- Please give me the information I need to engage in a proper, safe exercise program.
Heart-to-heart. Talking to your doctor. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/ConsumerHealthCare/Heart-to-heart-Talking-to-Your-Doctor%5FUCM%5F323844%5FArticle.jsp. Updated June 20, 2013. Accessed June 23, 2014.
Preparing for medical visits. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/CardiacRehab/Preparing-for-Medical-Visits%5FUCM%5F307053%5FArticle.jsp. Updated April 22, 2014. Accessed June 23, 2014.
Talking to your doctor. National Institutes of Health website. Available at: http://nih.gov/clearcommunication/talktoyourdoctor.htm. Accessed June 23, 2014.
Tips for talking to your doctor. American Academy of Family Physicians Family Doctor website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/healthcare-management/working-with-your-doctor/tips-for-talking-to-your-doctor.html. Updated May 2014. Accessed June 23, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 09/2012
- Update Date: 06/23/2014