Return to Index
Lifestyle Changes to Manage Periodontal Disease
Even if you have already been diagnosed with periodontal disease, you may be able to avoid progression of the disease or possible complications by following your dentist’s recommendations for managing your condition.
Follow Good Self-care Practices
Brush your teeth twice daily:
- Use an end-rounded, soft bristled toothbrush.
- If you have trouble managing with a manual toothbrush, consider using an electric toothbrush.
- Brush first with a dry brush; follow this by brushing with toothpaste.
- Dry brushing should take about 90 seconds.
- Brushing with toothpaste should take about 30 seconds.
- Use a toothpaste containing fluoride.
- Hold your brush at a 45° angle with the bristles toward the gum.
- Brush every tooth surface and along the gum line, using small, circular motions.
- Clean between your teeth once each day, using either floss or another cleaning aid prescribed by your dentist.
- Ask your dentist if you would benefit from a fluoride mouth rinse.
- Visit your dentist for professional cleaning and a thorough check-up every 6 months.
When to Contact Your Dentist
Do not wait for your regularly scheduled dental appointment if you notice:
- Increase in gum tenderness, redness, or bleeding
- Pus between your teeth or coming from your gums
- Loose teeth or any teeth that seem less stable
- New onset of pain or discomfort
Managing Periodontal Disease
Gum disease. American Dental Association Mouth Healthy website. Available at: http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/g/gum-disease. Accessed July 27, 2011.
Periodontal (gum) disease. National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research website. Available at: http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/DataStatistics/FindDataByTopic/GumDisease. Updated March 2011. Accessed July 27, 2011.
Periodontal treatments and procedures. American Academy of Periodontology website. Available at: https://www.perio.org/consumer/treatments-procedures. Accessed July 27, 2011.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2015
- Update Date: 09/17/2014