Return to Index
Talking to Your Doctor About Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
General Tips for Gathering Information
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
Specific Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Could I have a different illness? Can I have a checkup to be sure?
- Have you treated other people with OCD? If not, can you recommend someone who has?
- What treatments are available for OCD?
If I take medicine:
- How long will it take to work?
- What benefits can I expect?
- What side effects should I look for?
- Should I try counseling, as well? What type do you recommend?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies I should try?
- What is your training and experience in treating OCD?
- What is your basic approach to treatment?
- How long does treatment last?
- What is the length and frequency of treatment sessions?
- What health insurance is accepted?
What lifestyle changes can help me reduce my anxiety and stress symptoms? Including:
- Relaxation and stress management techniques
- How best do I implement these changes?
- What are my chances of recovering from OCD both with and without treatment?
- How often does OCD recur? What can I do to prevent a recurrence?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Anxiety Disorders Association of America website. Available at: http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/symptoms . Accessed September 8, 2008.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). National Institute of Mental Health website. Available at: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml . April 2008. Accessed September 8, 2008.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013