Return to Index
Risk Factors for Premature Menopause
- Family history of premature menopause
- Surgical removal of the ovaries
- Medications that reduce estrogen levels
- Autoimmune diseases
- Medical treatments (pelvic surgery, chemotherapy, or pelvic radiation therapy)
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists website. Available at: http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq047.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130514T1031516698 . Accessed November 2009.
North American Menopause Society website. Available at: http://www.menopause.org . Accessed February 15, 2006.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm
- Review Date: 09/2012
- Update Date: 03/18/2013