Return to Index
Lifestyle Changes to Manage Macular Degeneration
- Brighten your space with overhead and under-cabinet lighting
- Reduce glare with curtains and blinds
- Keep an open flow to rooms by rearranging furniture that may hinder movement
- Use contrasting colors in the bathroom so it is easier to see large items, such as the bathtub, toilet, or sink
- If you have area rugs, make sure they are taped or tacked down
- In stairwells use bright lights and identify the top and bottom steps with different colors
- Install handrails in bathrooms and in stairwells
- When you are reading or using a computer, use large text options when you can
- Organize your household items and keep them in the same place so they are easier to find
- Try using large stickers on your stove or thermostat so they are easier to use and navigate
- Use magnifiers or telescopes
- Plan your driving for daylight hours. Avoid driving at dawn and dusk, or after dark.
- Monitor weather and traffic conditions.
- Ask your family or friends for help when you need it.
Adjusting the home. Bright Focus Foundation website. Available at: http://www.brightfocus.org/macular/livingwith/adjustinghome.html . Updated April 26, 2013. Accessed July 15, 2013.
Age-related eye disease study 2 research group. Lutein + zeaxanthin and omega-3 fatty acids for age-related macular degeneration: the Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2) randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2013;309(19):2005-2015.
Living with AMD. Macular Degeneration Partnership website. Available at: http://www.amd.org/living-with-amd.html . Accessed July 15, 2013.
A randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of high-dose supplementation with vitamins C and E, beta carotene, and zinc for age-related macular degeneration and vision loss. Archives of Opthalmology . 2001;119:117-1571.
The relationship of dietary lipid intake and age-related macular degeneration in a case-control study: AREDS Report No 20. Arch Ophthalmol . 2007;125:671-679.
- Reviewer: Christopher Cheyer, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 07/2013
- Update Date: 05/11/2013