Return to Index
Lifestyle Changes to Manage Leukemia
- Balance rest and activities.
- Avoid exposure to bacteria and viruses. This may include restricting travel during cold and flu season and, in some cases, restricting exposure to pets that may carry viruses or other infections that may be transmitted to humans.
- Maintain good dental hygiene.
- Eat a healthful diet as tolerated.
- Avoid overly vigorous physical activities such as contact sports. During the course of leukemia and as a result of treatment, blood clotting can be compromised, and the risk of bleeding and injury from trauma is increased.
American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society website. Available at: http://www.lls.org.
National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013
- Update Date: 01/13/2014