Return to Index
Treatments for Kidney Stones
- Drink 2-3 quarts of water a day.
- Take pain medication as needed.
- Take antibiotics if an infection is suspected.
- Save the stone (catch in a cup or a sieve during urination). Knowing what kind of stone it is can help you prevent a recurrence.
Coe FL, Evan A, Worcester E. Kidney stone disease. J Clin Invest . 2005;115:2598-2608.
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://www2.niddk.nih.gov .
National Kidney Foundation website. Available at: http://www.kidney.org .
Parmar MS. Kidney stones. Brit Med J . 328:1120-1124.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 10/2012
- Update Date: 03/18/2013