Return to Index
Beef or Turkey Stew
This dish goes nicely with a green leaf lettuce and cucumber salad and a dinner roll. Plantains or corn can be used in place of the potatoes.
|Serving Size||3 ounces of beef with 1 cup vegetables|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||21 g|
Ingredients and Preparation
|Lean beef or turkey breast cut into cubes||1 pound|
|Whole wheat flour|
|Salt (optional)||¼ teaspoon|
|Olive oil||1½ tablespoons|
|Garlic, minced||2 cloves|
|Medium onions, sliced||2|
|Celery, sliced||2 stalks|
|Medium red/green bell pepper, sliced||1|
|Medium tomato, finely minced||1|
|Beef or turkey broth, fat removed||5 cups|
|Small potatoes, peeled and cubed||5|
|Green peas||1¼ cups|
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour with salt, pepper, and cumin, and roll the beef or turkey cubes in the mixture. Shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef or turkey cubes and sauté until nicely brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Place the beef or turkey in an ovenproof casserole.
- Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to the skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over the turkey or beef pieces. Cover the casserole tightly and bake for 1 hour at 375°F.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until tender.