Return to Index
Lifestyle Changes to Manage Endometriosis
Though, at present, there is little evidence to suggest that any particular lifestyle changes are useful for the management of endometriosis, the following advice may prove helpful:
- Avoid constipation. It may intensify symptoms. Drink plenty of fluids and eat a high-fiber diet that includes fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grain products.
- Consider practicing relaxation techniques to help you cope more effectively with the emotional stress that often accompanies chronic or recurrent pain. Examples include meditation, deep breathing, progressive relaxation, yoga, and biofeedback. By quieting your mind and relaxing your muscles, these techniques can help you recognize and release tension.
- If you have pelvic or lower abdominal pain that interferes with the quality of your life
- If you have severe pain related to your menstrual periods
- If you have pelvic pain during sex
- If you have pain or bleeding when you urinate
- If you are unable to become pregnant
Endometriosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated August 10, 2015. Accessed October 8, 2015.
What is endometriosis? Endo-Online website. Available at: http://www.endometriosisassn.org/endo.html. Accessed October 8, 2015.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 09/2015
- Update Date: 09/17/2014