Return to Index
Symptoms of Asthma
- Tightness in the chest
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Complaints of chest pain or odd sensations
- Difficulty during feeding in infants
- Trouble sleeping
- Limited exercise tolerance or avoiding exercise or sports
- Increased shortness of breath and wheezing
- Chest tightness or pain
- An increased need to use bronchodilators
- A whistling or wheezing sound when exhaling
- Frequent coughing or cough spasms
- Waking up coughing in the night
- Shortness of breath while stationery or exercising
- Feelings of tightness in the chest
- Restless sleep patterns
|Airway Narrowed Due to Mucus Plugs|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Asthma symptoms. American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology website. Available at: http://www.acaai.org/allergist/asthma/symptoms/Pages/default.aspx . Accessed September 13, 2012.
Symptoms, diagnosis and treatment. American Lung Association website. Available at: http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/asthma/learning-more-about-asthma/symptoms-diagnosis-and-treatment.html . Accessed September 13, 2012.
Asthma in adults and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated September 7, 2012. Accessed September 13, 2012.
Asthma exacerbation in adults and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated August 27, 2012. Accessed September 13, 2012.
Braunwald E. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine . 15th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2001.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013