Return to Index
Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis
Symptoms are caused when allergens or irritants create excessive congestion in the normal breathing process. Both perennial and seasonal allergic rhinitis cause the same symptoms, which may include:
- Runny nose and nasal congestion
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Itchy nose, ears, or throat
- Sinus pressure
- Dark circles under your eyes—allergic shiners
- Postnasal drip
- Decreased sense of smell and taste
- Chronic cough
Allergic rhinitis. American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology website. Available at:http://acaai.org/allergies/types/hay-fever-rhinitis. Accessed October 6, 2015.
Allergic rhinitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 8, 2015. Accessed October 6, 2015.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 09/2015
- Update Date: 09/17/2014