Return to Index
Fondaparinux: Protection Against Post-Surgical Blood Clots
When Is Fondaparinux Prescribed?
How Is Fondaparinux Given?
What Are the Side Effects?
- For people who have had hip or knee replacement, or hip fracture repair:
- For people who have had abdominal surgery:
For people who are being treated for venous thromboembolism:
- Urinary tract infection
Who Should Not Take This Medication?
- Severe kidney disease
- Weigh less than 110 pounds
- Active major bleeding, bacterial endocarditis (an infection that affects the heart), and thrombocytopenia (low blood platelet count)
What Are the Precautions With This Medication?
- Be sure to carefully follow your doctor's instructions, especially if you are aged 75 or older. You may experience more side effects.
- Tell your healthcare providers, including dentists, that you are taking fondaparinux.
- Because you are taking fondaparinux, you will bleed more easily. Ask your doctor about steps that you can take to prevent injuries.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medications, including over-the-counter drugs and herbs and supplements.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medication.
Food and Drug Administration http://www.fda.gov
National Library of Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Public Health Agency of Canada http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
Bauer, KA, Eriksson, BI, Lassen, MR, et al. Fondaparinux Compared With Enoxaparin for the Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism After Elective Major Knee Surgery. N Engl J Med . 2001; 345:1305.
Eriksson, BI, Bauer, KA, Lassen, MR, et al. Fondaparinux Compared With Enoxaparin for the Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism After Hip-Fracture Surgery. N Engl J Med . 2001; 345:1298.
Explore deep vein thrombosis. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dvt. Updated October 28, 2011. Accessed July 25, 2013.
Fondaparinux. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated July 11, 2013. Accesed July 25, 2013.
Risk factors for deep vein thromboembolism. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated June 10, 2013. Accesed July 25, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 07/2013
- Update Date: 07/25/2013