Return to Index
(Excess Male-Pattern Hair Growth)
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- Some forms of Cushing syndrome
- Adrenal tumors
- Ovarian tumors
- Pituitary tumors
Certain drugs, including:
- Anabolic steroids
- Progestin-containing medications (such as oral contraceptives)
- Excess hair growth (on the face, arms, back, armpits, groin, or chest)
- Abnormal or absent menstrual periods
- Male-pattern baldness
- Deepened voice
- Increased size of clitoris
- High blood pressure
- Increased muscle mass
- Enlarged ovaries
- Enlarged adrenal glands
- Abnormal cholesterol levels and glucose intolerance
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Chemical treatment (depilatories)
- Laser treatment
- Intense pulsed light (IPL)—uses high-intensity pulses of light to remove hair; unlike laser treatment, IPL uses a range of wavelengths.
- Oral contraceptives
- Metformin (Glucophage)
- Eflornithine (Vaniqa)
Treatment of Other Conditions
American Osteopathic College of Dermatology http://www.aocd.org
Family Doctor.org http://www.familydoctor.org
Canadian Dermatology Association http://www.dermatology.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Azziz R. The evaluation and management of hirsutism. Obstet Gynecol . 2003;101:99-108.
DermNet NZ. Intense pulsed light therapy. DermNet NZ website. Available at: http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/ipl.html . Updated June 15, 2009. Accessed September 2, 2010.
Hirsutism. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated August 31, 2012. Accessed September 12, 2012.
Hirsutism. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:1532-1533.
Lustberg ME. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic%5Fdiseases/hirsutism.html . Accessed September 12, 2012.
11/1/2007 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us : Hamzavi I, Tan E, Shapiro J, Lui H. A randomized bilateral vehicle-controlled study of eflornithine cream combined with laser treatment versus laser treatment alone for facial hirsutism in women. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007;57:54-59.
9/2/2010 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us : Haak CS, Nymann P, Pedersen AT, et al. Hair removal in hirsute women with normal testosterone levels: a randomized controlled trial of long-pulsed diode laser versus intense pulsed light. Br J Dermatol. 2010 Aug 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012
- Update Date: 09/30/2012